Thursday 7 October 2010

Sullivan & Gold could learn from Chichester City!



Loved this story from Yahoo News!

"Non-league side Chichester City may have made football history by becoming the first club to sack their manager with a phone call during a match. Boss Mark Poulton was in the dugout for last month's Sussex Charity Cup match against Redhill when he got the call from club director Gary Walker telling him they were reinstating his predecessor, Adie Girdler, who had been sacked at the end of last season.

Poulton told The Sun: "I must be the first manager in football history to receive a call during a game to say that he had been fired. I couldn't believe it. The club are a complete mess and a shambles - I'm better off out of it. During the second half I had a call from Gary Walker, one of the directors, who said he was sorry to interrupt me and then told me I'd been sacked."

City were winning 2-1 at the time of the call, just when Poulton had serious on-pitch matters to deal with. "It could not have come at a worse time as one of my young players, Nathan Paxton, had just been taken to hospital after breaking his jaw, cheekbone, nose and eye socket in a collision with their keeper. But there had been a lot going on ever since I started at Chichester and I feared it might end like this."

The shock dismissal is another chapter in a tumultuous year for the Sussex County League One side. Girdler, a significant shareholder in the club, was sacked at the end of last season and replaced by Poulton in the £200-a-week job. Club chairman John Hutter was then suspended by the board in early September as the row over Girdler's sacking escalated.

Poulton is currently looking for a new role in the game as he continues his day job of running a security firm."

Will Avram have his phone switched off during games in future I wonder. I could just imagine Sullivan reading this and getting a twitchy finger the next time we fall behind in a game! "Oy Avram, you're sacked, as a major shareholder I'm in charge of team affairs from now on. Before you go, get that cnut Upson off and send on Ben Haim!"

1 comment:

BoringScoreIndex said...

Boring Score Index 10 / 10