Wednesday 15 April 2009

In Memory Of The Liverpool 96 (Celtic Hammer's Tribute)


There are a few points I wish to discuss about Liverpool, not to have a go but just to highlight the problems at the top of our game; but today isn't the day for that.

We held a minute's silence in Spike's bar after the game at 3.06; its not much but on days like this you feel you have to mark these events, if only so that we never forget and that we never repeat what happened.

I wasn't much more than a kid when it happened but I remember thinking that there were kids like me there with their dads. I will be honest, the next time I went to Upton park with my dad, I didn't make a fuss when he told me to hold his hand as we joined the crowd going into the ground, like I had started doing since I'd turned 12 the year before. I was happy to know he was there with me. I thought a lot that day about the kids who would never get to go to a game with their dads again.

It kind of puts a lot of things in perspective and makes a lot look trivial. For those that lost family amongst the 96 who perished I am sure that the pain, the sense of loss and the heartache are as all consuming now as they were 20 years ago. I come from a famiy who has lost someone unexpectedly, and far far before their time, and I only hope that for all the families, the memory of their lost one's life is now stronger than the memory of their loss.

Walk on!

4 comments:

Salty said...

Thank you Celtic for your comments poignant. If I may, I'd like to associate myself with your post.

Memoria in aeterna

binbag12 said...

Hail Hail my Friend, Hail Hail.

el Martillo said...

Well said that man, well said indeed, I've enjoyed your recent contributions and as a dad who has recently taken his son to be initiated into the Boleyn tradition I found your post poignant and moving.

Anonymous said...

Moving, honest and very poignant on a club and subject so close to my hearts. The minutes silence you held showing a dep rooted respect for mankind and a fitting tribute to this tradgedy. Signed off with the spine tingling phrase "Walk on!". My friend, you have moved me to tears and on reading this, it is me blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air!