Saturday 18 April 2009

Villa 1 West Ham 1 A draw in the face of advillaersity!


Wow, I'm not sure if that result says more about us or Villa. It is easier to list the players available to us rather than go through those ruled out, and we still came away with a 1-1 draw, despite losing Collins to yet another injury! Martin O'Nutter must be tearing what's left of his hair out after this game, we were surely there for the taking after going an early goal down but his side were patently not up to the task. Perhaps Tottenham are a bit special after all - they did manage to beat this West Ham team after all and nobody else seems up to that task!

At half time I feared the worst. Boa was already on a yellow and had been lucky to escape an earlier one for a late challenge on the edge of our box. The clever money was on him making a clumsy challenge and getting his marching orders. Tristan looked slower than Benny in an IQ exam and as committed as a eunuch in a brothel. Stanislas looked to have blown our best chances of scoring and I was anticipating Young skinning Neill second half and putting a few on a plate for Carew.

As it happened, luck was on our side today. Yes Clarke and Zola organised us pretty well defensively again and yes, in spells, we looked impressive with the ball, the quick interchange of passes promising a lot until the disappointing final ball; but, in truth, Villa had the chances to bury us before our equaliser.

Did Tristan mean that? I am not entirely convinced. His first "goal" bounced off him from a Cole shot and whilst he did get his head on this one, I don't think he knew much, if anything, about it. Until that goal I thought he was awful but he did get the goal so we can't damn the guy can we?

Player ratings: Green 6, Tomkins 7 Collins 6 Upson 7 Ilunga 6 Boa 6 Neill 6 Noble 7 (apart from that awful back pass!) Stanislas 6 Di Michele 5 Tristan 5, Dyer 5, Savio 6 Sears 6

4 comments:

Stoney said...

Correct. Spurs are very special.

Salty said...

7/10 for Noble? Don't know about that one Fanno. It appears to me that seven out of ten of his passes go astray. Add his woeful tackles to that and I'm getting more frustrated by the week.
He really does need a holiday.
As a consequence of his misdirected passes and these tackles, he now costs me a fortune in vet fees. My poor dog (a West Ham Terrier) sustained a fractured scapula and three broken ribs in the course of that match.
молоток

Hammersfan said...

I think you are being harsh Salty. Who did he have in midfield and ahead of him exactly? The kid is 21and he played like the senior pro of our offensive unit, always looking for the ball and always trying to pass as opposed to lump it forward.

Salty said...

Harsh? On Mark or the dog Fanno? Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally down on the lad. I just think he's tired - very tired. I really am looking forward to him having a break and coming back next season to continue developing into the champion I think and hope he will become … if.
A good deal of his tackles are not those of a "senior pro" mate - and he's been making them for yonks. He really does need to get that aspect out of his game. He has plenty of cards already for the late and studs up approach and it's only a matter of time before he hurts someone. I hope they are just a symptom of his tiredness.
I know we are light up front but invariably I had my heart in my mouth each time he had the ball. I'm also aware that he doesn't 'lump' it, but his passes, be they to the sides or up the middle, so often missed their intended mark with the ball effectively being given up.
I found myself groaning each time he erred in this manner and as it turned out, I spent a good part of the match groaning. Even the dog walked off. Now, pass me the cat.
молоток