Sunday 15 August 2010

One game in - all sense of perspective out of the window!


You have to laugh. Given all the criticism I get for being honest, the reaction of West Ham fans to yesterday's performance and result is incredible. I have seen someone post that Avram should be given six games and then sacked if he doesn't turn things around. I've seen another poster claiming that Parker and Behrami should fcuk off if they don't want to play for West Ham. Everybody is suddenly crap, all of a sudden, nobody in the team wants to play for West Ham. Even the Happy Clapping Claret & Blue Klan have their Katy Perry knickers in a twist! Now let's get a sense of perspective shall we?

Yes we were poor - very poor. But Villa were good, very good. They did a complete number on us from the kick off. They pressed when we were in possession, shutting down our midfield and locking them into our own half. Cole was isolated and the Villa full backs were at liberty to attack down the flanks as the centre halves and Petrov closed out any escape route. Our short passing only reached the centre circle and when we knocked it long, Cole was suffocated and dispossessed. Same old, same old perhaps, except we did try to utilise the flanks and we came close to slipping the wide men behind the Villa back line a couple of times. Faubert actually came close to scoring in both halves and had Boa had any vision, he could have put one on a plate for Cole. So, even playing very badly, we created a few chances.

Villa, meanwhile, were pulsating going forward. The way Albrighton and Young switched flanks was a joy to see, unless you supported West Ham. Downing and Milner also attacked with pace, and the full backs joined in too. Meanwhile Carew led the line with muscle and guile. The whole team were pumped, playing, it seemed to me, to get Macdonald the job. It was a Cup Final for them, for us the first challenge in a long, grind of a season.

Villa would have beaten most teams yesterday - maybe even Chelsea and Man Utd. The decision of Macdonald to go with Milner was both brave and clever, and the whole team responded to his maturity, relieved, I suspect, that the eccentricity and childishness of O'Neill was no more. 3-0, given the breathtaking nature of Villa's play, was par for the course. Had we been thumped by Blackpool or held at home by Birmingham, I would be far more worried!

That's not to say we should ignore the performance! Grant must never pick such a negative midfield again. If you don't offer an offensive threat, the opposition are at liberty to commit numbers forward with impunity. Briefly, after Piquionne was introduced, we competed. The fire went out of our bellies when Tomkins was done for the third. Two of the Villa goals were down to dreadful West Ham errors, with Green and Tomkins culpable. Take out those errors and...well Villa did hit the woodwork four times too!

It was a VERY bad day at the office and it means we are a point down on last season. Zola's side drew against O'Neill's Villa remember. So the Grantazola Index shows the Italian ahead! But let's not go overboard. We started the 1976-77 season away to Villa with a team reading Day: Colemen, Lampard, Tommy Taylor, Green, Bonds, Alan Taylor, Paddon, Holland, Brooking, Curbishley. We lost 4-0! That team had a dodgy keeper, a sub standard right back and centre back and lacked a goal threat up front. Nothing changes much does it! We finished 17th that season, avoiding the drop with 36 points (but it was 2 points for a win and 42 games played!) All in all, it wasn't such a bad season because guess who finished rock bottom? Tottenham Hotspurs!

Unlike Zola, Grant will learn from Saturday's performance. Sullivan said before the game that we still needed two or three players. That's the sort of realism we need. To get them, there will have to be sacrifices. I said all along that Parker would go and I fancy that will happen. Interestingly, my old adversary on the Org, Grumpy King, was suggesting we demand Keane in exchange - a week or so after I mooted the deal. That deal would suit me, with O'Hara chucked in on loan and maybe Hutton too. Yesterday showed we need to be realistic in our expectations.

Let's bite the bullet, sell Parker and maybe Behrami and Cole too, and restructure. The foundations of the current side are flimsy and urgently need underpinning - not with marque signings but with players who will follow the manager's instructions and fight for the team and the fans.

We will not go down. We might well finish higher than 17th. 1976-77 was not a vintage year but was not a nightmare either. Losing heavily at Villa on the opening day of the season is not necessarily the end of the world!

20 comments:

Hammersfan said...

Please take out the f word. I will be forced to moderate out your comment if you don't. I've amended this one for you 00.03 but I will simply delete in future. Had any replies yet?

Matt Ryan said...

00:03 Anonymous chicken shit - I think you'll find you made that same post earlier and no one cared then either!

Hahahahahahaha

Hope your blog is doing well! Hahahahahahaha

Try getting it submitted to newsnow :o

Hammersfan said...

What was your take on yesterday Matt?

Anonymous said...

Still homeless after Dale told you where to get of I see Matty. Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Matt Ryan said...

Hi HF, not been posting anywhere for a while, been busy building the site etc... How are ya?

Yesterday? Hmmmmmmm.......was there a game then? lol

It cemented my theory on Parker! That we can get by without him! Last season he was a good player in a very bad team! This season (so far) he is an average player in an even worse team! lol

Get some cash for him while we still can.

I didn't go to the game as it was away but listen. We won't be th eonly team to go to Villa Park this season and get done over! They are a good team and they had a point to prove yesterday! They needed to prove to O'neill that he was wrong to leave and they did that in a very good way! They were great! We were poor.

However.......It was out first game, it was grants first game and people need to understand that the players we have bought so far this season need time to settle down and the ones that have settled were injured. Of the new players that we did play, Piquionne and Barerra looked good!

All due respect to Grant and Zola but Avram needed to field the team he did to see why it didn't work for Zola. After the game Zola would have just said that it was all ok and it just needs time but Avram saw what we did and he has said he needs to sort it out!

Now is the time that S&G need to open their wallets and get some goal scorers in!

I'm not worrying yet! Pissed off but not worried! YET!

Matt Ryan said...

00:20 Anonymous - If you haven't got the guts or intelligence to show your name when you address me, please don't talk to me! I don't have time to talk to little losers who are afraid to show their tru identity!

But I will say.......Dale told me where to get off did he? I think you'll find that the email I sent to your gutless waste of space leader very explicitly requested that he delete my details from his server as I would never post on his pathetic piece of shit site again! EVEN AFTER he emailed me and asked me to return!

So Princess, I suggest you get your facts straight next time :)

Now run along little girl.

Shaun said...

Matt... do you not think you are being a tad rash and hasty in your condemnation of Parker after ONE game?!
Are you not keen to see just what the pairing of Parker and Hitzlsperger can actually accomplish?
You say yourself that the new players should be given time to 'acclimatise', so I'm assuming that includes becoming accustomed to playing alongside their new team-mates?
Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to wait a few games before we see Parker and Hitz take the field together...but I, for one, am positive it'll be well worth the wait!!

Matt Ryan said...

Hi Shaun mate,

Not really mate. If I'm honest, I have to admit that this whole Parker is God saga has been grassly overrated! Sure, he is good but everyone is acting as though he is some kind of superman! If west Ham had been even half decent last season, Parker wouldn't have stood out like he did! As I said, at the moment he is a good player in a poor team!

He is nerly 30 years old and if we can get some decent cash for him then I say take it.

All I was saying about him yesterday was that it cemented the way I feel about his whole will he/won't he saga.

:)

Stani Army said...

HF,
I think the chairmen and Grant have been a bit slow in addressing the quality of our players issue especially when it comes to the defensive side. Why do I think this? Because of the team Grat started the new season with. He clearly thought they are better than they actually are.

I think the three have now been shocked into action, but I fear they may panic buy quick fix rubbish like they did in Jan last year. Hence, if we cannot get the right players, a player like Parker is exactly the kind we will need if our season is going to begin like this. If we can do something with Spurs with just Hutton and O'Hara, then I think that is good enough to let Parker go. If we can't, then we really should keep him until Jan at least because we'll definitely need him. As for Keane, I doubt he would come....then again, he may come and say 'I've always wanted to play for West Ham'. He did the same thing at Liverpool and Celtic!

Kareem said...

I'm glad you see it that way Fanno. That's my two cents as well. I think of the 07-08 season when we obliterated by Man City 2-0 with a hopeless defense, and not even getting a shot on target that match ..apart from Bellamy hitting the post or something like that...BUT POINT IS ..we went on to mid-table security...so let's hope Avram learns early and quickly, and we can have a secure season.

You're right, Villa aren't a team to mess with! I don't know why people think they're the same side we beat in 05 with David O'Leary managing them.

Keep up the good work! Don't let those "trolls" get to you!

Hammersfan said...

Anon, it is getting silly. You have already advertised your site on this thread. I can't let you clutter up threads by repeatedly posting the same message, it just gets so tiresome. Sorry but I have moderated out your last two repeats. Try to come up with something more interesting eh? One per thread is enough.

Hammersfan said...

Good point Kareem. I was in Sri Lanka when we lost that game. Missed dinner so I could watch the bloody game and we were shockingly poor.

Chunky said...

HF, im not sure if a complete restructuring is needed but there needs to be some realism at the club on what systems we can play effectively with the players available. Honestly, i dont think we could have taken anything from saturday given that Villa were simply awesome but i dont think we helped ourselves either.

I'll ignore the defensive problems - enough has been written about that already - but i feel that the 4-5-1 formation was a mistake from the offset. If we were to play a negative midfield then surely Cole was always going to be isolated and we were never going to see any real attacking threat. Cole is just not good enough to take on 4 defenders alone. If this tactic continues he will not score and again, his confidence will suffer meaning his performances will suffer.

If we are going to play 4-5-1 we need to rethink our midfield or sit someone behind Cole supporting the attacks. I am confident that Grant will see this and adapt the squad whether it is playing 2 up front, or adding some more midfield clought with Barerra and Der Hammer.

The main difference between Grant and Zola must be the ability to notice these problems and do something about them instead of being too proud/stupid to do anything about it.

Ameet said...

sorry I got confused I thought you said they were a "shower of shit" doesn't that mean that "Everybody is suddenly crap" or am I misunderstanding you? sounds like a contradiction to me...

BringBackZola! said...

00:28 oh it's THAT Matt Ryan - hahaha where's his pal the headmaster? hahaha thought they were setting up their own site after they got the heave ho - perhaps wehatethegamesgonecrazy.com is theirs? hahahahahaha

BringBackZola! said...

Matthew Ryan - you know nothing.... that's why you were caste out of WHTID - you talk rubbish, SP was voted player of the year two years running - no wonder Iain had enough of you.

If you don't mind me saying you obviously have anger issues and I wouldn't want you on my blog either.

I suspect you're a short man, probably fat, single, 45, still live with mum and weren't cuddled as a child.

Hammersfan said...

But that's what you think I look like! You do have a limited imagination don't you?

Deane said...

I been away for a little while I posted on wehatethegame etc and I've just given up waiting for my post to appear altho maybe it's there now anyone know anyone been there

Anonymous said...

I reckon you must be brothers! or at least birds of a feather - Matthew Ryan and HF - you couldn't make it up

BringBackZola! said...

as far as I can see wehatethegame is a blog made my HF.... but obviously the posters here lack intelligence and can't work it out for themselves, speaks volumes about the quality here I guess