Saturday, 15 August 2009
10 Talking Points from Everton, Arsenal, Man City, Villa, Wigan, Portsmouth, Burnley, Chelsea and MOTD
1. Julian Lescott said ahead of the game with Arsenal that his "head wasn't right for the match". I'VE GOT A TIP FOR YOU JULIAN, LOOK IN THE MIRROR MATE, YOUR HEAD ISN'T RIGHT FULL STOP. UNLESS YOU ARE BIDDING TO REPLACE KRYTEN IN RED DWARF!
2. Rumours of Arsenal's demise are a trifle premature.
3. Every England fan should hope that Arsenal's performance today was down more to Everton's incompetence than Arsenal's brilliance. There wasn't a single Englishman in that Arsenal team. Sod off to Real Madrid Wenger if that's the way you are going to play it in a World Cup year.
4. Bellyache was picked ahead of Tevez by Unreal City. For all the moaning about City's spending, it was good to see so many Brits and Irishmen in their side. Given, Richards, Dunne, Bellyache, Ireland, Barry and Wright-Phillips. It looks like Lescott might be joining them next week. I hope City finish above Arsenal for that reason alone.
5 Wigan looked good. I mooted Martinez as a West Ham manager when Curbishley walked - I'm happy with Zola but this debut in the Prem by the personable ex Swansea manager was promising.
6. Villa looked all over the place meanwhile. How big a loss is Barry going to prove to be? Everton and Villa losing, that has to be good news for our ambitions to push on.
7. Pompey look doomed. Their would be chairman looks like a very bad Arab Elvis impersonator.
8. Great to see Burnley's retro shirts - they put our claret and hardly any blue abortions to shame. As for Chelsea's zips! Well I suppose zippy would not be out of place at the Bridge given fatty Wilkins now looks remarkably like Rainbow's Bungle.
9. Shearer was on the wrong pundit panel tonight. He should be on the Football League show after his relegation with Newcastle. Match of the Day looked stale - Shearer, Hanson and Lineker are past it - and the format for the new Football League show is dreadful.
10. Warnock got his just deserts again!
Posted by Hammersfan at 23:23