Saturday 3 October 2009

West Ham's Greatest Ever Players Number 6


This, I would imagine, might be a controversial choice. Moore, Hurst, Bonds, Brooking and Peters are a stand out top 5 for me but when we move to the next tier, things become less clear cut. Some will argue the Di Canio case, some will yell Tevez, some with longer memories might argue for Phil Parkes or Alan Devonshire or Tony Cottee or one of the two Franks McAvennie or Lampard Senior, there will be supporters for Rio and Joe Cole, Grumpy would probably go for Pop Robson, the boys with tats and shaved heads will grunt Dicksy, the youthful might suggest Green and there are others, as I will reveal, who are jockeying for a position in the top 10, but my sixth greatest West Ham player since 1969 only collected 10 international caps and they were for such a pathetic footballing nation that they barely count - my Hammer Number 6 is Ray Tonka Stewart.

"You what?" some might demand, but for those confused by the choice, I will simply say 84 goals from 432 appearances whilst playing as a right back! Oh, and point out that in the season we were relegated, 1988-89, Tonka only managed 5 league appearances due to injury and the side, unable to compensate for his absence, dropped. A Cup winner in 1980, Stewart helped us to win promotion to the old First Division in 80-81 and to keep us up there whilst he remained fit. In 85-86 we achieved our highest ever league finish (and would have qualified for the Champions League in the modern era) and Tonka played in 39 of the 42 games that wonderful season, contributing six league goals, all of which were netted in a winning cause. Ray was an uncompromising player, hard in the tackle, yet, amazingly, throughout his West Ham career, he only collected two red cards. That points to a guy who could keep his head under pressure (as his penalty taking proved) and who could time a tackle.

The £430,000 we paid Dundee United for Stewart's services must represent one of the best transfer deals in our history and, although not "cultured" in the West Ham tradition, Ray Stewart was wonderfully effective. Tonka is also unique in the history of the club - he is the only non Englishman to win an FA Cup winners medal with West Ham!

Anybody care to share a personal memory of Tonka?

For 1 to 5, copy and paste these links into your address bar:

http://thegamesgonecrazy.blogspot.com/2009/09/west-hams-greatest-ever-players-numbers.html

http://thegamesgonecrazy.blogspot.com/2009/09/west-hams-greatest-ever-players-numbers_30.html

7 comments:

Deane said...

Great choice, unfortunately. how about putting someone like Titi Camara in there just so people can get involved and deride the choice

Hammersfan said...

Fat Frank will figure at some point Deane and I am damn sure 99% will think he is too high in the list!

Anonymous said...

nice to read your opinions of some of the greats of the club. I am a supporter from a slightly earlier era than you and i hope you have considered players like the classy ken brown and our cup winning keeper jim standen, not to mention the midfield dynamo ronnie boyce, this is a very subjective topic and, though I do not agree with all your choices, it is good to see the greats remembered.
just one point. you said fat frank is one of the 3 or 4 best players the club has produced, but here we are at no 6 and still no mention.

tonyboy

Hammersfan said...

Tony, I remember Boyce - in particular THAT goal at Man City when Greaves made his debut and we won 5-1 (or was it 5-2?). I was at Wembley that day, a kid myself, watching England school boys lose to West Germany schoolboys and couldn't believe the score when I got on the coach and the radio was switched on. I remember the black and white pictures on Match Of The Day, Corrigan kicking from the corner of his penalty box, Boyce banging it back on the volley from the centre circle! The first keeper I saw was Ferguson so Standen can't figure I'm afraid. I have said post 1969. If you would like to post your memories of some of the older guys, I would be delighted to carry your memories. Maybe Standen v Green or Standen v Parkes?

Lamps hasn't figured yet for a couple of reasons. One, he only really fully developed after he left us and two, we never won anything with him in the team. The top six all won medals with West Ham. That will be a clue who may or may not make up the remainder of my top ten! Great players win things and play in teams that win things. Great individuals often end up with nothing tangible from a career because they play for themselves. Di Canio anyone?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love Ray Stewart but what about Budgie Byrne, Alvin Martin or Noel Cantwell? Ronnie Boyce, Mark Ward or Frank McAvennie? this is an impossible game to play, I love 'em all.

Anonymous said...

just a small bit of trivia for you. Jim Standen is the only man to the fa cup and the county Championship in the same year. 1964, the hammers and Worcestershire

tonyboy

Hammersfan said...

1848 (the year of revolutions!), that's the point, it brings back memories. Thanks to Tony, I had a great picture in my head of Ticker's goal against Man City and of Greaves, a true great of the game, in a West Ham shirt. My ramblings have carried me back in time and hope they have others too. I can't rate the players from the 60s, I'm too young, but Alvin and Mark, and all the others since 1969, will, in time, be ranked. How do I reach a decision? I will try to explain as my list unfolds but obviously you can disagree and make a case for others. It is good in times like this to remember the heroes who have worn the shirt in the past.

Tony, I knew that but well worth a mention! Hurst also played cricket for the Essex A team didn't he? And, of course, Gooch trained with West Ham.