Monday 23 November 2009

Is Clarke Looking For An Exit Strategy?


Is it just me, or have others noticed that Clarke is less involved this season on match days? Last season, it was not uncommon to see Zola and Clarke shoulder to shoulder on the touchline discussing tactics, but now Zola always appears isolated, jumping up and down and fretting, whilst Clarke sits coldly, dispassionately, almost it seems, disinterested in the dug out.

What is going on? From a brilliantly well drilled defensive unit, we have degenerated into a shambles at the back. I know we have lost Neill and Collins, and Ilunga has been injured, but last season we coped with injuries to Upson and Collins and carried on regardless. We all moaned about how slow Neill was anyway and how opposition managers were targeting him as our weak link defensively; and presumably Zola and Clarke did not see him as irreplaceable because they allowed him to leave without putting up too much of a fight and without sourcing a replacement. Presumably, our management team thought that Faubert and Spector were up to the job!

So what is going on? Well, I am wondering if Clarke is in a sulk. There may be a number of possible reasons for this. Maybe he was opposed to the sale of Collins. Maybe he saw his authority undermined by Zola's anxiety to sign anybody he could to provide an attacking option and Zola's willingness to sacrifice a first choice defender in the process. Clarke, of course, will be of the school that says you build a team from the back; stop the opposition scoring and you only need to score once yourself to win the game. Zola, we know, is more attacking minded. Did it come down to a straight forward disagreement over priorities with Zola over-ruling his second in command? Is Clarke in a "I told you so" mood, watching events unfold with a smug, "Don't blame me, I warned you" attitude?

Or maybe Clarke is angry that Duxbury sold him a pup. Maybe he is regretting leaving Chelsea for a poison chalice of a job, understanding that his reputation is under threat as our fortunes nosedive.

Or maybe, just maybe, Clarke has half an eye on Celtic. There were rumours that the Hoops wanted him in the summer but nothing came of it. Did we block a move for him, frustrating his ambitions to be a number one? As Mowbray struggles at Celtic, is Clarke thinking, that could be my dream job?

Something is definitely amiss and I would not be surprised if Clarke is looking for an exit strategy.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

so tell me how many games you been to this season? or is this your view of what you have see on the TV ??

Essexhammer said...

CLARKE looks despondent more than anything.It's the old adage 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear',CLARKE realises if the truth be known quality is lacking.He was used to working with top players at CHELSEA,who had the ability to implement the tactics,now he is involved in a different ball game coaching less gifted players.Thats the long and short of it.It's the same for ZOLA ,but he as manager, is putting on a positive front.Huge investment is the only way this club of ours is going to move forward.

Hammersfan said...

You may be right Essex but I wonder what price you could get for Clarke to be in charge at Celtic before the end of the season?

Deane said...

Isn't that strange seems that if you don't attend games you shouldn't comment but if you do you are not able to

Hammersfan said...

LOL Deane. I think the guy sits at his computer all day waiting for me to post, then fires off the same old reply. How many games? How many games? Answer me, how many games?

Stani Army said...

I think we're also missing Upson as he seems to have already flown to South Africa.

I have experienced on many occasions things that I have missed at a game which I have later spotted on television. Going to games does not mean you have a better opinion.

This 'you didn't go to the game so you have no say and are not a fan' argument stems from one blog.

Hammersfan said...

Total tosh Stani, next you will be saying that technology (eg cameras) would help the officials to get things right! As if replays, zoom lenses and multiple camers positions could help anybody to get a clearer picture of the game!

el martillo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stani Army said...

You've stolen my thunder

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone else has noticed this - I thought the same when we played Man City away: "where is Clarkey?!" He was always alongside Zola on the touchline shouting instructions etc but I've hardly seen him all season. It's so frustrating being a Hammers fan: Zola and Clarke are quality and yet we haven't got a penny to rub together. We've had the Tevez Saga, Curbishly and recently Deano too who could have been an absolute legend at the Boleyn I'm sure. C'mon you irons - give us something to shout about!

Edz said...

I think the events on and off the pitch are sadly screaming out that we're a championship team!

The attitude in the team is clearly not good enough and that may start at Zola. I am of the belief that our owners have a heart of stone and will run us into the ground because they do not understand football, which sounds increasingly like our players!

Anything but a win against Burnley and I'll be questioning my support for the club.

el martillo said...

The trouble is that he's doing a bit of moonlighting, he's tired out after playing the part of the son-in-law in the Royle Family. Doing two mens jobs during a recession; there's no defence for that.

Hammersfan said...

LOL Somebody in Liverpool with two jobs? Now come on, we are truly in the realms of fantasy!

el martillo said...

I've never been there and oddly enough it's not on my list of 3,000,000 things to do before I die.

Hammersfan said...

I have. Stayed in the Astoria. Up for a wedding. They played "One wheel on my wagon" at the reception and it was only afterwards that I realised they were referring to my car!