Sunday 22 November 2009

Stani Defends Zola - He's Made Mistakes But Give Him Time!


I have always rated Collins and Gabbidon highly ever since we got them. They would have been my first choice as a centre back pair, yes, even ahead of Upson. There were players we could have sold other than Collins but we didn't. This is no exaggeration but I really could not believe it when we sold him. O'Neill must be laughing....what was it, £5m for a 25 yr old international defender?

Letting Bellamy go was a big mistake too. The pressure he used to take off our defence by running onto Neill's forward passes (which were always excellent) is now beginning to show. Should have done more to keep Neill as well. Could have done with his intelligence on the pitch. Would we have lost a 0-2 lead with Neill on the pitch?

The Upson pen shout yesterday; I'm still undecided about. You see, he got up before Hesselink who backed into him. This caused Upson's arms to go forward and make it seem as if he was man handling him. I don't think it was clear cut. May be as many refs would have given as those that would not of. Although, Battenberg does strike me as one of the ones that would have given it....may be he was concentrating on his tan.

Jimenez just makes me sick now. Please someone just get rid of him. When the club you play for is in the mire, hairstyles are not what you should be worrying about.

Zola's other big negative is his loyalty to players. In my opinion, Noble and Tomkins had far too long in the team whilst they were under-performing. Yes you can improve players but only so much in real games where it matters. I was pulling my hair out seeing Noble getting picked week in week out when he was quite clearly struggling.

I will say though that Zola has had to work in a testing environment with all that's gone on and with the lack of funds.

The one hope I retain is that he will learn because everyone will agree that the style of play he has brought is quite magnificent to watch. It is that reason that makes him different from our other mentioned managers. I just hope he can become more tactically adept.

I still don't think we're close to reaching a point where we cannot salvage the season. Hence, in my opinion, we should still stick with Zola as managers do become better. I hope he can because he deserves it. And it may not seem as if he cares from his after-match interviews, but have a look at him when our second goal went in yesterday.

Stani's Army

7 comments:

Hammersfan said...

We gave Roeder time and look what happened mate!

Savvakis said...

You are wrong about Gabbidon. He is not in the same calibre as Collins. He falls over himself and his marking is suspect. Please watch again the goals we have conceded from open play at Hull and you will see what I mean. I agree about Nobble and Tomkins being over-rated. Also, Jimenez is a huge disappointment. Spector and Faubert are also not the real deal. Also, Carlton is very good in hold up play (perhaps the best in England currently) but he is not much good for anything else. He is not a natural goal scorer, he is totally predictable and he makes big blunders due to lack of concentration (e.g. the Spurs game). I think that the biggest problem we have is a black hole on the right back position. Faubert is not the man to do the job in such critical position. For this reason my best team (without a right back because as far as I kow we do not have one to do a decent a job in that position) is: Green, Mr. X, Da Costa, Upson, Illunga, Behrami, Parket, Collison, Stanislas, Diamanti and Hines. Yes, Diamanti maybe a little erratic but he's got most of our other players do not possess. He is unpredictable and can always threaten because he's got a great shot and pass potential. Please also get Sears back because we may need him after Christmas.

Stani Army said...

HF
Roeder should never have been, or never should be a manager. I'm not saying this in a bad way of course as I met the fella at lakeside and he's a lovely guy. He should either stay number two or work with the youngsters...which I think he did at Newcastle, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bit of luck our way today...the two results went for us. Big Pam does have a habit of beating his old clubs.

Savvakis
With all due respect, I have to strongly disagree.

Danny Gabbidon's reading of the game is exceptional. Witness how many times he is there getting a block in, and on many occasions, for his fellow defenders.

If you watched Match of the Day last night then I would just like to make clear that there was a mistake by Stanilas on the left. The stupid commentator said it was Gabbidon but it quite clearly was not as Gabbidon then blocked the resulting cross after the Hull player had robbed Stanislas. Irritatingly, the BBC commentator did not go back and correct himself leaving Gabbidon open to criticism. I hope this one mistake did not influence your judgement.

Before Gabbidon first got his groin/stomach injury, he was a regular in defence. After that, our results dropped markedly and he had a lot to do with it.

But I'm just a ordinary fan. Take it from one of the world's best strikers Alessandro Del Piero. Italy played Wales once and Gabbidon marked Del Piero out of the game. At the time, Gabbidon was plying his trade with Cardiff. When Del Piero heard this, he said he could not believe that a guy of his quality was playing in the second division.

Just to add, Gabbidon was playing out of position against Hull. If we put Upson left back, you'd see what I mean :)

I agree with your right back point but I think Faubert is the best we have and should persist. We should have kept Neill.

I would start Diamanti every time - simple. After the performance in and since the Arsenal game, he has to start. This was another thing Zola was slow to clock on to.

Apart from Gabbidon, I would agree with your team. May be swap Dyer for Stan when Dyer is fit and definitely involve Franco and Hines off the bench.

savvakis said...

Stani Army,

I don't have anything against Gabbidon and I know he was voted our best player a few years ago. However, I am not too convinced about his positioning and how well he keeps his cool in some situations. I hope you are right and I am wrong. But we badly need a right back. This is how our defence is ususally unlocked from teams that have players of the likes of Lennon, Giggs, SWP.

Stani Army said...

Savvakis,
Yes I agree. Perhaps shift Behrami right wing so he can help out the right back. Some have suggested putting Behrami at right back but I think we'd be losing too much of him in midfield then.

That goal Giggs scored against us was just joke defending. Back off back off, that's all we do.

Dan said...

Completely agree with you about Gabbidon. Great player, his first season was exceptional, there is no reason why he can't play like that again, he's just been really unlucky with injuries of late, give him a chance!

As for Collins, I find it so weird how everyone as soon as he starts praising him. Before he left he was always a 'meh' player, good in the air but not that good with his feet, but as soon as he's left suddenly everyones thinks he's amazing!

As for Lucas Neill weren't people booing him last season?

Don't get me wrong I think both Neill and Collins a very good players but not superstars!

Stani Army said...

Dan
I know what you mean about Collins but, and I can only speak for myself, I have rated him since the beginning. And he's still young; people forget. He always seems to do a job for us. I can only remember once when Berby done him on the by-line at Old Trafford....but that was exceptional kill of course.

I think people that booed Neill found it difficult to see (because of his lack of pace) what he brought to out team. But he was very clever and experienced and played quality balls forward. He did one in his first game for Everton where had two assists.