Sunday 7 March 2010

Davies head and shoulders better than Cole.


A few years back, people thought Henry was 'avin' a laugh when he described Kevin Davies as the best English qualified striker in the Premiership; well, on the evidence of yesterday, Rooney apart, I think he may have been right! There is a debate taking place on another thread about whether or not Davies would cut it at international level and I would just like to chip in with my three penneth.

What amazed me about Davies yesterday was his movement. Time and again, he made himself available for the ball, either by pulling wide or by stepping away from his marker at the last moment, gaining a precious yard to control the ball and weigh up his options. When Henry made his comment, Davies wasn't scoring enough goals to be taken seriously but, like Cole, Davies is now slotting them home with much greater regularity. He lacks the pace of Cole but he has a much better footballing brain and, as Sherringham proved, a quick thinker can outpace a quick runner at international level.

Some are arguing that Davies is too physical to succeed at international level, but those people have short memories. Shearer was a bully on the pitch, using his physical strength to great advantage - and Rooney is hardly the shy and retiring type. I have been a strong advocate of Cole this year but, since his injury, that goal against Hull apart, he has seemed off the pace and lacking in confidence. He was dreadful yesterday and Davies looked twice the player.

He is undoubtedly very long odds to make the plane for South Africa but I think he is worth a look. Davies or Heskey? I would go for Davies. Davies or Cole? At the moment, Davies. Rooney would love playing off him, just as Shearer enjoyed the opportunities that Sherringham provided for him. And should Rooney be injured, I fancy Defoe's preferred partner would be the selfless Bolton man.

19 comments:

Emma said...

Couldn't agree more! As a Bolton fan who was at West Ham yesterday, I was glowly with pride over how brilliantly our Kev played.
Get him a seat booked on that plane, Capello!

Emma said...

*Glowing, I apologise!

Hammersfan said...

Shame you weren't the one stripped to the waist Emma! I know that guy was carrying some blubber but, my God, he must have been cold!

Anonymous said...

Cadburys is a far superior player to davies but yesterday fo sure that was not the case. Cadburys let us down big time. Crucial to get Cadburys playing better as soon as possible.

Stani Army said...

HF,
Shearer played a while ago mate. Nevertheless, he was a totally different player to Davies. As is Rooney. I would describe Rooney as aggressive, not physical. Davies is physical. Rooney's ability means he does not need to engage in that stuff.

You do describe people as having short memories in regards to the Shearer point, but I think you're forgetting how good Cole is, just because of yesterday's game.

Bolton Fan said...

I have to say, Carlton Cole was very good yesterday. His pace and power scared me and he was my only worry from your lot. I think you're maybe being a bit harsh on him.

Davies however was fantastic. He truely is a great footballer, whatever people may say about him. He has a footballing brain, experience, extreme strength, more pace than he's given credit for and his heading ability speaks for itself.

Excellent article and it's good to see this is from a West Ham fan. Well done sir.

Hammersfan said...

Stani, I'm not. Spot another disclaimer, "Davies or Cole? At the moment, Davies." Capello seems reluctant to ply Cole when he is in the squad so why not have a look at Davies?

Stani Army said...

It's just a crush HF, not true love. You'll get bored with Davies soon ;) I just hope Carlton accepts you back when you do :)

Hammersfan said...

If either of them help us win the World Cup, I will love them until my dying day!

Stani Army said...

I hope Mrs HF doesn't read this blog

Hammersfan said...

Read? She's too busy in the kitchen!

Stani Army said...

If I print screen that, I can blackmail you right?

Hammersfan said...

LOL I don't let her have any money!

TurdOut said...

stani - good work son - keep those posts down to one sentence at a time and you're bound to not make too many grammatical schoolboy errors

Stani Army said...

Turd, 'Stani' is a name so it's an upper-case 'S'. And don't forget those full stops!

TurdOut said...

@stani "a percentage of the population which quite clearly doesn't include the commonness of you"

TurdOut said...

@stani "And by doing so you accept you was wrong in regards to what we were arguing about right?"

Stani Army said...

Good work Turd! It's nice to have someone who hangs on your every word. I'll be dropping a few more clangers so be sure to pick them out....although I'm surprised that you missed a few since the above. Worry not though, I have plenty to keep you busy and to brighten up your sad existence.

Cheers

TurdOut said...

stani - remember your boasts of the high IQ? or perhaps it's only a Toyota parked on a hill? mug. I reckon you're lucky if it's in double figures