Saturday 10 April 2010

Zola Backing The Wrong Nags!


I am distinctly uneasy reading Zola's comments on the OS. It sounds to me like a guy who is going to meddle and try new things against Sunderland. Well, by new things, I mean the same old mistakes! His hope that Kovac or Noble can do "the same job" as Parker is absurd. Neither will provide the same drive from midfield, nor will they cover the same amount of ground. Can you see Kovac slipping through the sort of pass that won Cole the penalty against Everton? No hope!

Our ONLY hope today is to get down the flanks. Sunderland have injuries problems of their own and we have to attack their back four, putting them under pressure. That means exploiting the flanks. There are rumours that Diamanti has been ruled out and if so, we have problems down the left. The answer is NOT to move Stanislas there. An attacking threat down one flank, the right, is better than no attacking threat down EITHER flank!

If Diamanti and Behrami are both ruled out, and Behrami would be the Duracel alternative for Parker, then I would favour Daprela wide left of midfield. At least he would be operating on his strongest foot and, when Sunderland have the ball, could help protect Spector at left back.

If the injuries are as bad as are being suggested, Zola has three alternatives. Which of these teams will he pick?

Option 1

Green: Faubert, Da Costa, Upson, Spector (or Daprela); Ilan, Kovac, Noble, Stanislas; McCarthy and Cole

This team has an offensive "look" to it but we have seen that Ilan is NOT a midfielder and we KNOW that Stanislas is more effective on the right. My money is on this team being selected and I expect us to LOSE if Zola goes this way. We will play "narrow", come inside all the time, and McCarthy and Cole will have no space to operate in. Prediction 1-2

Option 2

Green: Spector, Da Costa, Upson, Daprela; Faubert, Kovac, Noble, Stanislas; Ilan (Or McCarthy) and Cole.

This team offers a threat down the right and keeps the goal scoring potential of Stanislas in the team. However, we would be VERY open down our left flank. Stanislas does not offer defensive cover so Daprela would be hung out to dry. I fear defeat if this side is picked. Prediction 2-3

Option 3

Green: Faubert, Da Costa, Upson, Spector; Stanislas, Kovac, Noble, Daprela: Ilan and Cole

This team offers the best balance. Faubert needs less protection than Spector or Daprela who could support each other with this set up. Daprela could cross off his stronger foot and so could Stanislas. Ferdinand, at left back, would dread facing a dual roasting from Faubert and Stanislas. Pick this team and I fancy us to win 3-1.

So, that's the state of play. And if you want to know who will win the National, read carefully!

Come On You Pick The Right Team And We Will Win Irons!

26 comments:

Sav said...

I've read that Zola still expects Mido to come good for West Ham and perhaps score the goal that keeps us up! I am getting a very strange dejavu feeling that he is already planning giving Mido another chance. Honestly, if I see Spector and Mido in the team line-up today, I will learn Italian so that I come over and let him know exactly how I feel about him!

fred149 said...

loooooooolllll MIDO has been DROPPED FROM THE TEAM AND THE BENCH
hammersfan shudve made a post on the line up

Kareem said...

Green, Faubert, Upson, Da Costa, Spector, Noble, Behrami, Kovac, Stanislas, Ilan, Cole...we got Diamanti, Franco, McCarthy, Spence, Daprela, and Gabbidon on the bench! I'm happy!

Kareem said...

Hmm..4-1-2-1-2 ?! Kovac in DMF..Behrami on right..Stanislas on the right..Noble in the diamond? could work haha

hammalot said...

reminder that we contrived to lose to Laws' Burnley side. I know today its irrelevant but its been annoying me tremendously since it happened.

Stani Army said...

Fred,
I think he's come down with an illness....food poisoning? Thought I say it before HF does!

Hopefully we'll see something from Ilan and McCarthy.

Stani Army said...

Noble still cant cross. Leave the set pieces to Stanislas for goodness sake....or get Diamanti on.

Me too Hammalot. Only if that game had come now

hammalot said...

If we had Diamanti on for those set plays ....

Ilan has gone back to being a disgrace. Behrami aswell has been flopping around like a dope. Dont think Ill miss him after all.

Stani Army said...

CLASSIC!!! Big man to small man. Why don't we use Cole like that more often!!!

COME ON!!!!!!

hammalot said...

get these serie A divers off our team. Honestly we'd rather win free kicks than create legit scoring chances :(

Stani Army said...

CONGRATS BOYS!!!

I take it HF didn't go inside the ground and just stood outside which is why we won :)

I'm off to get an ECG

Anonymous said...

well done lads!!! well fought.. well won!!! franco's goal shoulda stood damn it!!! (fan from sg)

Stani Army said...

I've just seen Burnley's score!!!

BRILLIANT, JUST BRILLIANT!

PRAYING WORKS HF!

Sav said...

What a relief! We should be playing in the PL next year. Even GZ cannot screw up so badly from here-on, surely!!!

COYI !!!

Rabelais said...

YEEESSSSS! Now let's kick on for a top half finish....

Is Europe out of the question?

TurdsOut said...

Just got back from the game (but no photo with my programme to prove it) great game, well fought.... shouted myself horse!!!!!!!!!!

COYI

Hammersfan said...

Which stand were you in TurdsOut?

Anonymous said...

wrong, you were wrong. negative post. without parker and we won. shhhh.

Hammersfan said...

Why not shout about it?

Hammersfan said...

Erm, wasn't the team picked the one that I said would win the game, except Behrami was fit and so played on the left. How was I wrong?

TurdsOut said...

West Stand Upper... thought we'd one 2-0 until I got home!??!?!

Hammersfan said...

LOL Serves you right for leaving esrly! How can you do that? I can't miss a minute on the net, never mind a minute live. I must have been one of the last to leave the stadium, it was such a wonderful feeling knowing Hull had lost too! We stopped at the Ladbrokes office to collect my son's National winnings on the way out. Brilliant day. My nag came home third - not a bad tip each way at 14-1.

TurdsOut said...

Was one of the last to leave myself, singing my head off, watched the Grand National - walked from UP to Forest Gate and caught a cab to Stratford - Was delirious happy and honestly didn't notice the disallowed goal, claret tinted spectacles I guess -

There where four twats in font of me - turned up late, chatted bollocks throughout the game - missed the goal as they were late getting back from their pies and pints = went to the toilet umpteen times and left 10 minutes early - whatthefcuk is that all about?

A win is a win in my book - didn't expect much from the game so I was over the moon. If we buy half a dozen of so players in the summer then we'll have half a decent season providing we stay up.

Think Ilan should be given more of a chance - yes he does look like headless Chicken but he can score a goal or two and it does take a while to adjust the PL

Hammersfan said...

How about a drink before the Wigan game TurdsOut?

TurdsOut said...

Hahaha HF - I wouldn't want to sour your pint... not sure Wigan will be on the cards - depends how work pans out, believe it or not I have some work coming up at the ManCity training facilities.......

Hammersfan said...

Really? What do you do? You wouldn't sour my pint, would be good to meet one of my most persistent critics face to face over a beer.