Tuesday 17 January 2012

David Gold: the good guy in a world of bandits and a gangster moll

(Submitted via comments by The Doomsday Clock)

I am sure we all know that DG has a twitter account where he seems to spend some time replying to fans comments (both good and bad). On the Olympic Stadium issue he he is quite clear: this is the preferred option but will not happen unless there is a lease for at least 99 years and the running track problem is resolved. The point is, he does not have to give us this insight into the Board's thoughts. As fans we have more information into their thinking now then we have ever enjoyed before. If his comments subsequently prove to be bogus then he his setting himself up for a fall.


DG is also writing his autobiography which is available for free on his web site. I have only had a chance to read the opening chapter but it is certainly a moving rag to riches story. He explains the extreme poverty and anti-Semitism problems endured in the East End during the London Blitz . Certainly it makes us wonder what we have to complain about today in the UK. No doubt the lessons he learnt subsequently inspired him to make his money in any way he could, and I have no doubt that his upbringing would have made him a totally ruthless businessman. But that doesn't make him a liar or a crook.

As a local West Ham boy the club was his passion from an early age. He played for the youth teams. It is, therefore, difficult to argue that the claret and blue blood does not flow through his veins.

DG has made his money and could no doubt have an extremely comfortable retirement if he so chose. Whilst more money is always nice, I suspect he has "come home" and would rather leave his mark as someone who helped take the club to the next level. I might be wrong but my feeling is that the club will be in safe hands under his watch, starting with promotion this year. One step at a time but if this happens the Board will have some difficult decisions to make in the summer regarding funding of new players to compete in the Premier League.

11 comments:

Hammersfan said...

Of the three, I trust him the most. The trouble with your argument is that Sullivan and Gold were happy to send us down when they were in charge at Birmingham. I know they couldn't order the team to throw the game, but I didn't need to read on the eve of the game at Birmingham that we had got ourselves into the mess we were in and deserved to be relegated. We went down with 43 points for pity's sake, enough to keep us in the Prem in any other season.

Now, as a West Ham fan, I would NEVER have made that statement, and I am not shy of criticising the club as you know. Sullivan and Gold should have kept their traps shut before that game; the comments still rankle every time they claim to love the club.

Mr C said...

This is the most sensible article you have written. As you say David Gold does not need to have a Twitter account & in a way he puts himself there to be shot down, but he is all the better for it. Combined with being more approachable & disclosing our accounts just shows the size of the task they have taken on. I think the club is in safe hands for the time being. Onwards & upwards.

Hammersfan said...

That's because I didn't write it!

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell - I thought HF had written that - I felt the floor open up below me and was convinced I'd entered a parallel universe - wow that felt so weird. The complete polar opposite of HF's crap - amazing!

Anonymous said...

Tom writes....

Brilliant article hf!!! Really that is the best thing you've written by a long way!!

Ahh but it wasn't you....I knew something wasn't right

Hammersfan said...

True Tom, but I carried it. And if you ever wrote anything worthwhile, I would carry that too. I have my opinions, others have theirs. Unlike some, I am happy to platform the opinions of others.

Anonymous said...

Bravo HF that's a great article I knew you had it in you. I feel so much better knowing that you are a real fan.

Stani said...

Birds of a feather though guys? I doubt one of the three is any different from the other two when it comes down to what matters. The question is whether you think their intentions are good or bad.

The doomsday clock said...

Gee HF- I did not expect my comment to be featured with headline and photo. It is in stark contrast to your normal blogs so cheers and credit for that.

In 17:12 DG was probably saying in a roundabout way that relegation is decided over a season and not on the last game.

If I recall correctly we were also hoping Aston Villa would do us a favour by beating Bolton that day. That went wrong as well and I seem to remember BFS was dancing on the pitch with Jay Jay Okocha at the end of the game. Funny how fortunes change.

There is more news on twitter today. Jack Sullivan has explained bids of £5m and £3.5m have gone in for two strikers. I suspect you would suggest that will be for someone like Torres and Tevez. More likely it is Rhodes and Sordell?

Hammersfan said...

No problems mate. Fancy contributing an article, email it to the address in the right hand panel and I will source the picture. I have strong opinions but I'm more than happy to platform others with something to say. We learn through debate.

Anonymous said...

22:35 debate?! you don't know the meaning of the word. If you don't like something you don't respond or you do it's with a couple of contemptuous sentences. Which is why you have so few regulars here.

On another note, I've noticed you're the only West Ham site that doesn't incorporate the colours, any reason for that?