Saturday 14 April 2012

Beat Brighton and we could still top Southampton after Reading reverse.

It's a long shot I know because of our terrible home form, but we could yet qualify for automatic promotion  after Reading's victory over Southampton. We have to win the last four games but if we do, it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that we could go up in second place.

Reading are now effectively a Premiership club and full credit to them. McDermott must be a hell of a manager. He lost Long at the start of the season and a hot prospect over the summer, but he has put together a spirited squad on a shoestring budget and has motivated them to compile a fantastic sequence of results. The victories at both West Ham and Southampton say everything that needs to be said about the spirit in the club. Whilst Allardyce has tried to bludgeon his way to promotion, blaming bad luck week in and week out, McDermott has prepared a team of decent players to go out and play decent football - and has proved that this league is actually pretty easy to get out of if you get the basics right.

So could Southampton trip up over the final three games? The match at Peterborough could yet end up as a draw and defeat at Middlesbrough is not inconceivable. So if we were to win four games on the bounce...

...and if my Aunt had bollocks, she would be my Uncle!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the picture at the start of your column. The seagull has more chance of flying again than you have of winning all your four games . Draw with THE MIGHTY SEAGULLS LOSE to nottingham forrest
Win against Bristol City and draw with hull. Total 81 points LOL Saints have 82 at present

Anonymous said...

Culdesac says...

I an from Spain but have been a follower of WH for many years, so I also get to watch second division matches this year. From what I have seen, especially comparing Southampton, WHU and Reading, what strikes me is the incredible rate of success that Reading have... 3 goals out of 3 shots against Southampton, that's 100 % rate. 4 goals out of 5 attempts against WH, 80% rate. Apparently, a lucky win against Leeds... And truth be said, this team plays tigh in defence, but no out of the ordinary players (except the goalkeeper and the bearded center half). Just a fighting spirit coupled with high confidence, and a (lot of) luck.

WH isn't worse team than S'hampton, and is better than Reading. But the results are what they are. Reading doesn't play a pretty football, and I said a couple of months ago their bubble would burst. I was wrong. Just for beleiving they deserve to go up. They will need serious reinforcements though if they aspire to stay up. Because the 100% or 80% rate is going to fall dramatically one day or another....

Anonymous said...

If your aunt hasn't got bollocks I'd be very surprised

USA Dave said...

I was going to write a serious comment until I read the last line. Precisely.

bubbles said...

while we have Fat Sam and the Dildo brothers at the helm we will go nowhere. No class and no idea .Bad luck ..NO Bad management throughout the club . Sad to see but we are reaping the reward for allowing a succession of Directors and Managers rip the club off.

Deane said...

If we win the next 7 games we're up (simples, when using the 'if' factor)

Beelzebub said...

McDermott for me is the new fat Sam, a more modern version of shit defensive football playing the smash and grab stuff that BFS would be proud of.

I personally feel sorry for Southampton, they deserve the title and if we nick 2nd off them it's just an even bigger kick in the balls (and extremely unlikely but you never know)

Readings run has been stupidly impressive but their football has been as bad as ours, they deserve what we are getting (nothing) but as we all know football is a funny old game.

Hammersfan said...

Get your facts right 00.58. We will lose at Leicester, not at Forest! We've already done the double over Robin Hood's boys!

Anonymous said...

facts right? that's not something I associate with this blog!

Hammersfan said...

Isn't it? What facts do I get wrong? Was it not me who repeatedly warned that our luck would run out? Was it not me who, in February, ran a thread showing that the table could, in fact, lie? Was it not me who argued all season long that Allardyce's tactics and imbalanced squad would be exposed? Was it not me who said that Parker's sheen would be tarnished before the end of the season, and that it was VDV, Modric and Bale who were the true key players in the Tottenham team? Was it not me who kept saying that we had the wrong personnel for 4-3-3? Was it not me who pointed earliest of all to the inability of Nolan to function in a conventional 4-4-2? I think I've got one hell of a lot right actually. Though I was wrong about Di Canio and Swindon!

Deane said...

never mind I got that one right for you